Wednesday, September 25, 2013

DIY Milk Vases

Instead of renting some old looking ones or traveling to a vintage one for some old ones, I decided to make some milk vases for the bridal shower centerpieces. 

If you saw in this post that I put up yesterday, they looked like this:


Do you see those spots where you can see through the vase? I will tell you about that later.

So I went to the dollar store and picked up 5 vases (one for each table). They were just clear vases and $2 each. I also bought 2 bottles of just white paint from the dollar store. I bought regular but I would highly recommend glass paint. I also got those sponge things shown in the picture but didn't end up using them.


I placed a piece of tinfoil down which kept the paint from getting anywhere and then I just squirted about half the bottle in there.


Then I tipped the vase over and started swirling the paint around making sure it was covering all the areas.


After I tipped it over and let it dry upside down. This ensured that all the paint would cover all the sides. 

This is the finished product: 


If you get clumps of paint around the rim, I just scraped off the thick parts with a knife and then used my nail to scrape off thinner parts. 

Now remember in the first picture where you saw pieces of clear vase instead of white vase? That is because I didn't use glass paint. Basically when the paint dried, some areas looked like the paint had evaporated a bit. It did it to all 5 of my vases. Also, once we had water in it, the paint started to come off. It wasn't a big deal for me because I only used these once but if you were planning for a permanent figure in your home, definitely invest in the glass paint.

Here is a budget breakdown of the project:
Glasses vases: $2x5 = $10
Paint: $1x2 = $2
Total: $12



No comments:

Post a Comment